Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Candidate Review...Heartbreaking

DAM YOU DAMON AND CARLTON FOR BREAKING MY HEART!!!
Now that that’s done with. I can not believe they killed off Sun and Jin in one episode. That has to be one of the most shocking deaths I’ve ever seen even on this show.

To start at the very beginning, all week I heard lost sayings in other shows particularly “The Heart wants what the heart wants,” and “We have to go back” also after watching this episode Lost was specifically mentioned in a Modern Family episode so that was awesome.

We find out that John is a "candidate" for surgery. Perked my ears up. And then we find ourselves having a flashback of our own as our losties are taken back to the cages, and I totally understand why Sawyer didnt want to go back in, I mean seriously they spent way too long in those cages.

We then see Bernard being a dentist, claiming Jack was hitting on rose…lol…which how does he remember a patient from 3 years ago. And why would he be treating both john and his father after a plane crash...speaking of we finally see Anthony Cooper, who is a shadow of his former self. I kept wondering what Sawyer would do when those two meet up, if they meet up. At this point with 3 episodes left, I don’t think they will, and I’m ok with that.

Claire meets back with anti locke and already becomes under his influence…at first, at the very end of the episode she seemed appalled and horrified that everyone was dead, something she wouldn’t have been before she came back into contact with the other losties.

We next come to John Locke in bed recovering from surgery, murmuring: "Push the Button, wish you would have believed me.” Locke was so getting flashes...so that makes me think was that desmonds plan all along?

And then we come to Kate getting shot. I’m sure plenty of Lost fans cheered but I didn’t…I yelled at the TV. I hope she survives because my theory in the end is that she will be the one to save them all and be the hero in the end. But then again Jack has been taking the hero mantle up again a lot. And so has Hurley in the last few episodes, but he seems pretty devastated by all of the death surrounding them. But perhaps he will be the new Richard. And then there is Sawyer, who was such a great leader during the time flashes and in the 1970’s. But he has been a shadow of this self lately.

Next Anti Locke…why did nothing happen to him when he was pushed in the water? He has said that he can’t touch water. He has an aversion to it. And can’t just turn into smoke and go across the ocean. But nothing happened!!! Ok he did look maybe a little weakened. But he didn’t melt. Ok maybe I’m thinking a little too much wicked wise and the wizard of oz, but he is evil…pure evil. Which is what Damon and Carlton said in an interview that was published right after this episode aired.

Anti Locke is evil, pure evil - if anyone doubts it now they are crazy, “Because now you know this show is willing and capable of killing anyone,” they say. I agree with them. We thought we knew this before they have killed one person in an episode but never 3 in one episode or 4.

A note on the number of deaths: Sayid, Sun and Jin are all confirmed of course, but in no article that I read was Lapidus mentioned as being dead. He could of course be dead. But we have no real confirmation, and I think he deserved more then being knocked unconsciousness.

After all most of the main characters who have died on this show have gotten their moments Sayid sacrifices himself for everyone else and gains his redemption for killing so many people. But not before saying to Jack:

“SAYID [to Jack]: Listen carefully. There's a well on the main island, half mile south from the camp we just left. Desmond's inside it. Locke wants him dead, which means you're going to need him. Do you understand me?
JACK: Why are you telling me this?
SAYID: Because it's going to be you, Jack

That to me is one big, huge moment for Sayid, and really advances the story line and points to Jack as being the one to replace Jacob. I’ve been thinking a lot about Jack this week, his beginnings, his journey on the island, faith vs. science. Live together die alone. And the more I think about it the more I think that he may be the one to replace Jacob. He has made a tremendous journey from season one to know, he has made a full circle, coming back to the island. But in ways it’s not a circle, he’s flipped from being a man of science to a man of faith. Before he would have needed to diffuse that bomb, or try and logically talk Richard out of killing himself. Now he talks about faith that the bomb won’t blow up. In a lot of ways its Sawyer who has become the Jack of Season 1, I’m not sure if that’s progression or regression for sawyer, but it is a change.

Jack on the other hand has become the flip of himself, as my friend Dan would say it’s all apart of the mobius strip of Jacks character. He’s on a journey, and is now on the flip side of where he began.

Getting back to the dead characters, Jin and Sun definitely had their moment, they have been reunited at last, they are crying, I was crying, if you have emotions you were crying. It was a mirror image to Titanic, except they both died, a much sadder ending then Sayid. And I personally think Hurley was crying more for them then Sayid. Why: Lets see, he was friends with Jin, he was there right after Ji Yeon was born for Sun, and he just seemed closer to them. Though he did have some great moments in season one with Sayid.

Getting back to Ji Yeon….why in the world did they not mention her? I checked the scripts…no mention of Ji Yeon. The have now left her parentless to be raised by her grandparents, one of which is a ruthless owner of a company which has done a lot of bad things. I would have smacked Jin in the face if I had been sun and told him to go take care of Ji Yeon, but that’s just me.

It is because Lapidus that I do not believe that he is dead. He may be dead, but we just haven’t seen the actual death yet.

Of course right after I got done crying because of the double Jin/Sun death we come to the alternate world, and Locke sees Jin, does a double take and I cry because we see Jin again.

So now there are four: Jack, Kate, Sawyer and Hurley. Who knew at the beginning of the series that they would be our four that are left…to be the good guys at least. However…Claire is still in the picture I believe, she seemed horrified at the deaths of her friends on the sub, and doesn’t seem to be real taken with Anti Locke right now. And like they say: “Blood is thicker then water.” And Jack is Blood. So in the end I think we will raise our number back up to 5.

I can not wait till the next episode, but I also realize that there are only 3 episodes left before it will all be over, and I’m not ready for that to happen yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment