Saturday, May 15, 2010

Across the Sea Review

Across the Sea may go down as one of the most debated episodes ever, and for good reason. We got even more questions over what Smokey and MIB are. As well as questions as to what time period we were in, and how early was the island inhibited, plus I have some serious questions for Jack and his medical skills.

The more I think about the more I realize that this was the ultimate filler episode. It filled us into the past of the island, and clued us into some of its mysteries like never before. a great episode, with some great performances by mark Pellegrino, Titius Welliver and Allison Janey aka CJ Craig from the West Wing in a performance that made you question whether the character was crazy or not. Since her character was just named woman, I am renaming the character Allison.

As many of you know I am obsessed with the time line, I believe it will ultimately reveal the true nature of the island and show what it is all about. Has the island always been special or did it occur at some time.
So of course the first thing I thought of when I saw Claudia shipwrecked on this island I began to wonder what timeline were we in. How early are we in the time line? According to lostpedia it is an unknown date. However going by the game that the boys were playing we were as early as 3500bc, which was when the game first started popping up. According to other sources we were Between 452 BC and 900 AD. This is a large area of time.

So were the Egyptians there before MIB and Jacob were born, or did they come after. And who were the people who came to the island with Claudia? According to Jeff Jensen from EW.com the language was Northern Highlands Sweedish, which I do believe, however Lostpedia says it is Latin. So what language was it?? Argh this bothers but I don’t know why.

One of the reasons why I liked this episode was because of Allison Janey who kicks ass, I never expected to see her on this show. I’m glad I wasn’t spoiled on her coming on the show, because it was a great surprise, but why did she have to kill Claudia?? Guess she just wanted the boys to her self. That being said we found out in this episode that Jacob and MIB are twins, which I think is a great twist. Allison says that MIB is special but Jacob isn’t why? Did Jacob have to drink the wine to become special?

That doesn’t sit right for me, because to me it’s always felt that Jacob has always been special. Also confirmation this week that the little boy that has been appearing in the forest is Jacob. Which is great, I thought it probably was all along. That says to me that ghosts or at least ghost Jacob can change his ghost form to what ever age he wants to appear as.

It was especially interesting when she said: "Dying is something you never have to worry about.” So does this apply to those people who succeed Jacob and MIB?
Another interesting thing that Allison says that Jacob can not tell a lie, that tells me we should always trust Jacob before MIB. But then again when have we ever trusted MIB?

It still bothers me that we don’t know what MIB’s name is, there were so many chances for them to give that to us, and they still haven’t. This is really starting to tick me off, everyone has a name so they can’t go with that route. We also found out that MIB built the donkey wheel, never saw that coming.

Next we come to the Light. Where is it on the island exactly and what is it exactly. Allison says it is the source, the heart of the Island. Allison says that “if the light goes out here, it will go out everywhere." So what makes the light go out? Does it go out if MIB leaves the island? That seems to make the most sense to me.
But the ultimate question of the light right now is. Did Jacob create Smokey? Or did Jacob release Smokey?

Ultimately my final say is that Jacob created Smokey. I say this because he put MIB in the light cave and Smokey came out. He took the form of himself, because his real body was dead. Anti Locke says that Jacob stole his body his soul. And in a way what happened in this episode is what Anti Locke described. Many things can be twisted to the truth for Anti Locke.

The other big reason why I believe this is because in the 1700’s Jacob and MIB were sitting on the beach, and re watching that scene I am more inclined to believe that it is Jacob and his dark brother. MIB wants revenge on his brother for killing him or doing something that lead to his death. Why else would he say “do you know how much I want to kill you.” So that is my final say, and as you know I am never wrong.

And finally the revelation that MIB and Allison are Adam and Even in our caves which is awesome, but how did they stay so well preserved? I mean they still had clothing and didn’t look over 2000 years old! After all Jack did say that he thought they were only 40-50 years old. Is jack just bad at looking at dead bodies, or were what we saw in season one. Think of it a revolving door of Adam and Eve’s replacing the old ones as they bodies detirioted. Or is the fact that this is the island and its different why the bodies didn’t detirote why they should normally?
Please let me know what you think, and if you think I’m crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment