Sunday, April 18, 2010

Everybody Loves Hugo review

Everybody Hates Hugo, no Everybody Loves Hugo. This week’s episode’s started with showing us again how very different this alternate world is, how upside down it is. Hugo is the happiest person in the work, the luckiest person in the world, he has never been in a mental institution, and he’s happy…except his mother thinks he’s unhappy because he doesn’t have a woman. Got to love Hurley’s mom. But even with all of the interesting parts of the alternate reality and the great connections that were made, especially with Desmond pushing Hurley towards a certain future, and with the great moments of Libby and Hurley. I was not expecting to see her in this episode. Looking back I am seeing more importance in the alt reality, but I still prefer the current time line.

The current timelines story was riveting, intriguing and ghostly…ok I threw that one in. Ghost Michael shows up on the island as Hurley is talking to Libby’s grave and says "I'm here to stop you from getting everyone killed" - Michael - darn you ABC for spoiling him in last weeks promo.

However what was not spoiled for me or I think anyone else was Illana’s end, where she got her artz moment and blew up while handling dynamite. And I and everyone else started asking. WHAT IN THE HECK DOES THIS MEAN??

Ok yes it does mean that she’s dead, that is obvious, but there was so much more promise and expectation to the character. She is the person who is supposed to know what to do; she is the person who is supposed to protect the losties. And I have a really hard time believing that Jacob would let the woman he thought of as his daughter just die like that. Several weeks ago I was spoiled/foiled to the fact that Jacob would be Illanas father, but apparently that was changed, to he was the closest thing she had to a father. And I keep wondering if this character is so important, then why die like that? Is it as Ben said, the island was done with her? I would hate to think that that was it. I’m very conflicted on her death, it was entirely unexpected and unnecessary, it didn’t really have emotional resonance, and she didn’t get to do what she was supposed to do. Will she come back as a ghost to Hurley and guide him that way? Or will she be a ghost that is not trapped on this island.

Which leads me into the whole whispers reveal. According to Michael…and finally realize by Hurley, (which how as a ghost talking dude has he not realized this sooner) the whispers are of ghosts who are stuck on this island and who can’t move on. It surprised me that this was not presented to us as a major reveal. After all it has been something people have been having questions on since season one, instead I like how they just slipped it in there, not everything has to be a major reveal.
However I question why do they whisper in the first place? Are they trying to warn people or give them messages? I did not have the time this week to go back into the transcripts, but it would be interesting to do so. After all as Hurley said, “dead people are more reliable then alive people.”

Another interesting point in this story was that Hurley lied, Hurley Never Lies!! But he does this time to make people listen to him (I had a half page of notes on this on whether Jacob was really there until Hurley admitted he was lying) darn you Hurley. Then he went and blew up the Black Rock, definitely and unexpected move. And then decides that they need to go talk to anti Locke, I love take charge Hurley, but I’m really uncertain as to if this is the right move for the group as the better. However it has been said that once MIB makes a promise he can’t go back on it, and he did promise Hurley that he wouldn’t hut anyone.

A quick note on the alt universe story for Hurley, one of the best lines of this season was said in it by Hurley “Bizarro alternate Universe.” I love how the writers use Hurley as a character that really channels the fans and the Lost community.
I LOVED how Desmond pushed Hurley towards Libby to get him to remember and how her kiss triggered his flash of the island. His plan is to slightly push people in the right direction to seeing the other side - genius because he's not entirely interfering with their lives, but just giving slight suggestions and pushes - very Jacob like. But then he later does something very un Jacob like. HE RUNS OVER ALT. UNIVERSE LOCKE. One of the few people I cared about in the alternate universe, because A. he’s Locke, and B. he’s finally happy and doing something he’s good at. But why does Desmond want to run over Locke? It keeps running in my brain that perhaps he saw something in his flashes of anti Locke and thinks that this Locke may be one in the same. Or he believes by destroying Locke he will destroy the body of anti-Locke, but I’m really unsure as to how he would know this.

Staying on the Desmond track he looked way to complacent strapped to that tree, doesn’t know who anti Locke is and touched anti Locke!! Something is way more up with him then just accepting his fate. There has to be more then this then there is. Or am I over thinking it?

We see the strange looking boy again, and he does look a bit different, but think on this we now know that Desmond, Sawyer, and anti Locke can all see him? Does this mean something? We know Richard can’t see him. What enables a person to see him? It can’t be a candidate issue since Desmond is not a candidate nor has ever been one that we know of.

Last but not least Desmond down a Well. He can not be dead!! All I know about next weeks preview was the creepy Willy Wonka music; I was too busy writing notes. All I can say is if he is dead that would be a really bad end to his character and his story line, there is still too much work for him to do, and too many things for him to do, I can not imagine that the island is done with him.

A great solid episode, interesting....was good, but became great at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment