Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lost Season 6: Episode 4: The Lighthouse

The more I think about it the more I am conflicted on this episode. I love this episode, but it also rubs me the wrong way in certain parts.

Let me explain.

Separately each act was done very well and intriguing

But put together they were a little disjointing.

Jack as a father is very interesting, his sideways time line explores his father issues with being a father and being a son, it’s very psychological. I found it interesting. I want to know who David's mother is. I am 99% certain that it is not Sarah. Jack did not meet Sarah until 2002.

Now this could have changed with the time line, but still...I am fairly certain that his mom is not her. And I do think it would be quite interesting to see how Jack and Jack's mom deal with the Claire factor in this time line.

Also I did not realize this till I read it on a Message board, but Jacks tattoos were missing.

As well I'd like to see why this time line is important. With this episode we got some more hints that they might be bleeding over. Jack couldn't remember when he got his appendix out, and that scar looked pretty fresh to me. It could be 3 years old, but not 30 some...scars fade after that long amount of time.

Away from that, knowing why this sideline time line is important, and how it fits in with the story, all I find from the sideways time line so far is that it’s an interesting aside showing difference between time lines and how characters act....but I'm far more invested at this point in the island time line.

That is still the one that seems to be more important. It is after all the one we have been watching for the last 5 years.

The On island part of the show was far more interesting this week, bringing in more mythology, questions and answers. And I love the Lighthouse and the concept of it.

For me the Lighthouse had more of a Jacob vibe, while the cave had more of a Man in Black Vibe.

After all why would you have a place where you wrote the numbers down twice? The numbers were the same with the addition of Kate now on the wheel of the lighthouse at number 51.

You wouldn’t need two places.

The other reason why I found this episode disjointed is because of the centricity. Yes it was a jack centric with a Jack flash - but we really got the stories of more then him.

We got the Jack and Hurley show - something we don’t see often, with more of a Hurley focus there.

And we got the Jin and Claire show - with them splitting the focus.

I completely agree with a friend of mine on facebook, Luke that the Jin/Claire interaction is very reminiscent of the movie "Misery" with James Cann, which is I believe one of the scariest movies ever made, because it is so psychological.

As for Claire herself....she scared the hell out of me.

According to the Geronimo Jack's Beard Podcast, Jorge Garcia says the thing in the cradle is referred to as a Squirrel Baby....he is also holding it in his blog, it is really strange looking.

Claire in my opinion is not herself. She does have the sickness I believe, because that was not the Claire we know and Love. She also knew right away that this was not John Locke, but "her friend."

She still has hints of the Claire we know and Love, but she's also not like Russou. She isn’t acting like she has just been in the jungle for three years. It’s more then that....Our Claire would not kill a person using an Ax. She might defend herself after three years in the jungle using a gun, but not an Ax.

For her up is down, and wrong is right.

I want to know more about what happened to her, what happened in the temple with her, and why she doesn’t remember that she just walked off. What happened to make her cabin like, and then wild jungle? More questions that need to be answered before the end of the series.

Some other Notes:

This was the 108th hour of Lost that was produced

We got a reminder and return to the caves where Adam and Eve still lie, and more questions about who they are. Interesting to note, Hurley thought they were both male, when Jack said in season one that one was female. Doesn’t Hurley remember these things? lol

The Lighthouse is very reminiscent of The Alexandria Lighthouse - an ancient wonder of the world - and used the same principles to work.

Also that promo was probably the freakiest one they have ever issued. Should be an exciting episode next week.

In case you’re wondering:

The Season One Equivalent to the next episode was a Sun/Jin centric: The House of the Rising Sun. Next Weeks episode is called: Sundown.

so if we are following Season One's time line of episodes the next one should be Sun and Jin centric...which means....more of crazy Claire!

No comments:

Post a Comment